Monday, August 9, 2010

Mmmm...Panera lunch

As a vegetarian, I'm often pretty wary of going out to lunch, as most places don't really seem to have many good vegetarian options. So I was a little reluctant when my friend invited me to lunch at Panera today. I wanted to get together with my friend, so I agreed to go. Most sandwich places offer a menu composed entirely of pieces of meat wedged between two slices of white bread. Most of Panera's menu is no exception, but I did manage to find one vegetarian option: the Mediterranean veggie sandwich. I had it in a You-Pick-Two with a small side salad and an apple (there were several veggie soup options too, but without a doubt they're laden with unnecessary sodium). The Med-Veg, as I've decided to call it to bypass its wordy name, was comprised of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion, feta cheese, delicious cilantro hummus, all on PHENOMENAL tomato basil bread. Surprisingly, there was only one meatless salad on the menu, the Classic Cafe Salad. Isn't it a sad world when even a salad isn't vegetarian anymore? Anyway, it was fairly standard, but still good, with lettuce, tomato, onion, and slightly sweet balsamic vinaigrette. Overall, the meal was great, but I just wish Panera could have more options for the herbivores among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment